- “ABCD Watermelon” (interactive video game)
- Between the Lions alphabet chart
Foundational Skills/RF.PK.MA.1.d: Recognize and name some uppercase letters of the alphabet and the lowercase letters in one’s own name.
Head Start Outcomes:
Social Emotional Development/Social Relationships: The healthy relationships and interactions with adults and peers.
Approaches to Learning/Persistence and Attentiveness: The ability to begin and finish activities with persistence and attention.
Literacy Knowledge/Alphabet Knowledge: The names and sounds associated with letters.
PreK Learning Guidelines:
English Language Arts/Reading and Literature 7: Develop familiarity with the forms of alphabet letters, awareness of print, and letter forms.
Science and Technology/Inquiry Skills: Identify and use simple tools appropriately to extend observations.
“ABCD Watermelon” #1 (BTL game)
Tell children they will play a game about the alphabet.
- Demonstrate how to play “ABCD Watermelon.” Model how to listen for the letters and then choose the next letter by clicking to select it.
- Sing along as the letters appear on the screen (A, B, C, etc.) and repeat after the narrator: “What letter comes after C?” Draw children's attention to the alphabet chart and help them determine that the next letter in the alphabet is "Dd."
- Ask children to sing as the letters appear on the screen and click to choose a letter.
- Children may have trouble clicking to choose the letter. Provide individual support as needed.