- construction paper
- magazine pictures of objects that roll or slide
- slide (n.)
English Language Arts/Writing/W.PK.MA.2: Use a combination of dictating and drawing to explain information about a topic.
Head Start Outcomes:
Literacy Knowledge/Early Writing: Experiments with writing tools and materials.
Literacy Knowledge/Early Writing: Uses scribbles, shapes, pictures, and letters to represent objects, stories, experiences, or ideas.
PreK Learning Guidelines:
English Language Arts/Composition 16: Use their own words or illustrations to describe their experiences, tell imaginative stories, or communicate information about a topic of interest.
Skill Focus: Creative Expression, Small Motor Skills, Vocabulary
Have children draw a picture of a slide or ramp that they have seen. Then draw their attention to the magazine pictures and tell them you want them to look for pictures of things that they sent down a ramp or another child sent down the ramp while they were exploring.
- Encourage them to also include things that they might like to send down a ramp to see how they move.
- Have them glue the magazine pictures right onto their slide and predict how the objects might move down the slide.
- Allow them to choose a number of objects.
- Help them record their predictions on the page.