My Important People Tree
There are a lot of people in your child’s life. Some of these people are more important to your child than others. Help her recognize these connections and realize that there are many people who care for her and love her.
During a quiet time in your routine or while your child is waiting for an important person to arrive, look at photos of family and friends together. Or simply talk about the people who are important in your child’s life.
Make a list of all the names. Then make a friends and family tree together.
- Lay out markers or crayons and a sheet of large paper on a flat surface.
- Together count how many names are on the list. Enthusiastically talk about the number of special people in her life.
- Then help your child spread out her hand and place it on the paper. Then trace around her fingers and hand.
- Help your child write one name from the list on the inside of each "branch" (traced finger).
- Encourage your child to draw a small picture of each person on the tip of the branch (or glue a small photo on the tip).
Hang the tree where your child can look at it and be reminded of all the people who care for her and love her!
Media Connection: Watch a short video together about two girls and the people who are important to them in Between the Lions “I Love My Family.”