Children (3 - 5 years)
Children love taking baths, running through sprinklers, and jumping in rain puddles. Water fun is also a time for learning and discovering. All you need is water and some everyday materials to start exploring.
- Your child will begin to understand the characteristics of water (and other liquids).
- Your child will also begin to discover how water moves and flows.
Turn everyday routines into a time of learning and exploration for your child. Bath time can become more than just a time to get clean and washing dishes can be more than just a chore. Here are a few ideas:
- Count water drops.
- Discover what sinks and what floats.
- Guess which container will hold the most water.
- Explore how water trickles, drips, or flows.
Water fun can get messy! Your child will not be able to fully engage in exploring and learning if she has to worry about getting wet. Be prepared with dry towels and cloths or an extra set of clothes. Then just have fun exploring and learning about water together.
For media resources about water, visit the Children's section on the site and click on "Unit 9: Wonderful Water".